Frequently Asked Questions

What is a representative?

A representative is someone who has provided advice, consultation, or guidance to you at any stage of the immigration application process, or in an immigration proceeding.

If someone represented or advised you to help you submit your application, then that person is your representative. A representative is also someone who has your permission to conduct business on your behalf with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

When you appoint a representative:

  • you also authorize CIC and CBSA to share information from your case file with this person;
  • your application will not be given special attention nor can you expect faster processing or a more favourable outcome;
  • the representative is authorized to represent you only on immigration matters related to the application you submit with this form;
  • you can appoint only one (1) representative for each application you submit

Back to top...

Do I need a consultant to apply for a visa?

No. You can apply all by yourself.

It is estimated however that over 40% of applicants will use a qualified representative for all or some part of their application. You can also be represented, for a fee, by a Canadian lawyer, paralegal, or Quebec Notary.

You can also be represented (but not for a fee) by a third party such as a friend, family member, or non-governmental or religious organization.

Back to top...

Why would I employ a consultant?

An RCIC can liaise with the Canadian government, including CIC, on your behalf and will ensure that your application is correctly filed and completed.

They will also know their way around the immigration process and can present you with options and perspectives that will ensure your best chance of a successful application. Other factors such as equivalency, eligibility, and inadmissibility issues will also be addressed. Although an RCIC will not gain you any preferential treatment nor expedite your application process, they will definitely help with your submission.

Back to top...

What is the difference between a consultant and a lawyer?

A Canadian lawyer can represent you in court whereas a Canadian immigration consultant can only represent you up to a trinbunal level.

A lawyer will have studied and often practiced other areas of the law, while a Canadian immigration consultant will usually be less expensive than a lawyer.

Back to top...

If I employ a consultant, will I still have to do some work?

Yes. An immigration consultant can get your application right but the best applications are where an authorized representative works well in conjunction with a client.

There are some things a representative cannot do such as your medical tests, language tests, police clearances, and obtaining original documents (eg. passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.)

Back to top...

How can Envision Immigration Canada help me immigrate to Canada?

Canadian immigration and the many options available can cause a lot of confusion.

As each program carries a different set of rules, regulations, and requirements, a seemingly simple application can quickly become a daunting task. There is a lot of information available, which may often create more questions than answers. Envision Immigration Canada has assisted many foreign nationals in successfully submitting Canadian immigration applications which have led to permanent residency in Canada.

We are experienced with each and every one of the over 50 different immigration programs that Canada offers. We keep up with all of the latest Canadian immigration news and any changes in rules and regulations so that you do not have to worry about submitting outdated application forms or missing crucial documents as part of your application. We will assist you in deciding the best route to take and will make sure you are properly equipped to successfully apply for immigration to Canada.

We will make the immigration process simple and smooth.

Back to top...

Why should I choose Envision Immigration Canada over another consulting agency?

Owner Beth Superlario Austin is a qualified and Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, and was once in the same position you are currenty in.

Based out of the United States of America, Beth has worked for CIC, and the Consulate General of Canada in the USA - amassing over 18 years in the industry. She came to Canada as a foreign worker from the Philippines in 1987, and has been through it all. Beth understands how hard it can be to start the process of making your dreams come true. Her combined life and business experience gives her the knowledge and confidence to help you with the application process and ultimately obtaining a positive result.

Back to top...

What is Express Entry?

Express Entry is not a Canadian immigration stream, it is in effect a pre-qualification for most immigration applications that are not based on family ties.

A candidate must meet the requirements of Federal Skilled Workers, Trades or Canadian Experience Class streams to be accepted into the "pool" of eligible candidates. All those accepted are ranked through a points system, and an accepted profile is valid for one year. If an Invitation of Apply (ITA) is offered either by means of a Provincial Nomation, a validated job offer, or through a high ranking score, a candidate has just 60 days to apply via an established immigration stream.

The Canadian government estimates that this application takes approximately 6 months for full residency visas.

Back to top...

What factors can preclude me from emigrating?

To be able to immigrate to Canada, you and your family need to be admissible.

There are factors that can prevent you from successfully applying, such as your medical and criminal history. Some can be overcome, some not. To be included in the Express Entry "pool", you will need to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker, Trades or Canadian Experience Class streams.

Back to top...

What is the difference between Temporary and Permanent Residency?

A Permanent Resident (PR) is someone who has acquired Permanent Resident status. A PR is issued a PR visa and subsequently a PR card in Canada. They can live and work in Canada on a permanent basis, and is not tied, for immigration purposes, to a specific job or position. A PR renews their PR card every 5 years and continues to be a PR as long as they stay in Canada for 2 out of the 5 years preceding a renewal of their status. A PR cannot vote in Canada and cannot usually work in certain occupations, such as the Canadian military.

A Temporary Resident (including a skilled worker or student) is a Forein National in Canada who has been given the right to stay on a temporary basis on the condition that they will leave the country at the end of their authorized stay. Temporary residents can, if authorized, work and study in Canada. They can also apply for PR status.

Back to top...

How long will an application take?

This depends on the type of application.

Recent developments by the Canadian government have ensured that application backlogs have been vastly reduced and new application streams mean that many applications, both Provincial and Federal, will take less than a year. CIC estimates that once selected and invited to apply through Express Entry, your application for PR will take 6 months or less to be processed.

Back to top...

What is the difference between a Permanent Resident and a Canadian citizen?

A Canadian citizen can vote in elections and can hold a Canadian passport. There are also no residency obligations for citizens.

You must be a PR for at least 2 years before you can apply for Canadian citizenship and have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the 4 years prior to submitting your application. Time spent in Canada as a Temporary Resident counts for one half a day towards this requirement.

Back to top...

Up to what age can my children be included in my application?

A child is a "dependent" until the age of 19, and can be included as a family member in your Canadian immigration application.

Unfortunately, exceptions no longer exist that include full-time educational status over the age of 19. A son or daughter over the age of 19 will have to apply separately. The child's age will be "locked in" at the time of the receipt of your application by Provincial or Federal authorities - meaning if they turn 19 after your application has been received, they will still be considered a child.

Back to top...

Do I need a job to emigrate to Canada?

Not necessarily.

An Express Entry application and inclusion into the "pool" will enable employers to see your profile; a job offer will increase your points but is not a necessary requirement to being invited to apply. Some application streams including Business and others, will require different criteria.

Back to top...

Can you get me a job in Canada?

A requirement of Express Entry is to register on a Canadian job board within 30 days - this will give Canadian employers access to your details.

If an employer is interested in your skills and wants to offer you a job, they will need to apply for and receive a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Back to top...

What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

A positive LMIA is something a Canadian employer must obtain before hiring a foreign worker.

Positive LMIAs show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill a specific job and that no Canadian worker is currently available to do this job. These are somtimes refered to as confirmation letters.

Your proposed employer will need to contact Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), which will provide details on the LMIA application process. In some cases, one may not need an LMIA to apply for a work permit.

Back to top...

What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

Canadian citizens and Canadian PRs have the right to enter Canada freely. Other visitors to Canada, including tourists, students, and workers, may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from CIC to enter Canada.

Back to top...

Does everyone planning to visit Canada require a Temporary Resident Visa?

No. You do not need a TRV to visit Canada if you are coming from a visa-exempt country. Citizens from all other countries must apply for a TRV before entering Canada.

Back to top...

Do I need a Study Permit if I plan to study in Canada?

If your studies will last less than six (6) months in Canada, then no Study Permit will be required. Any studies beyond six months will require a Study Permit, in addition to a Temporary Resident Visa if you are not from a visa-exempt country.

Back to top...

How do I qualify for a Work Permit to work in Canada?

There are many ways to qualify for a Work Permit. In some situations, the Canadian employer must demostrate that they were unable to find Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents to fill the position in question.

Back to top...

What can I do if my application for a Temporary Resident Visa is refused?

If your TRV application is refused, there is no formal appeal process. In addition, you may only re-apply if you situation has changed substantially or you have considerable new information to submit.

Back to top...

What can I do to help a friend or family member obtain a TRV to visit Canada?

If your friend or family member requires a TRV to visit Canada, their initial application must be made at the visa office responsible for their country or region.

You may provide them with a Letter of Invitation, explaining how you will help them. For example, you may state that you will pay for airfare or accommodation. While a Letter of Invitation may help a TRV application, it does not guarantee that the person will receive a visa.

Back to top...

What documents are required for my application?

In addition to the application forms and required fees, you will need to submit photos, proof of financial support, a photocopy of your return ticket or travel itinerary (if applicable), and any other documents required by the visa office for your country or region.

Back to top...

I am a US resident with a Green Card. Do I need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa?

No. You may simply present your passport and your valid Green Card at the Canadian border.

Back to top...

Can I study in Canada with my Temporary Resident Visa?

In general, international students require a Study Permit to pursue an educational program in Canada.

However, there are several exceptions to this rule. If your program in Canada is less than six months in duration, you do not require a Study Permit although it may be a good idea to apply for one in the event you decide to continue further with your studies. As well, you may study in Canada without a Study Permit if you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. Please contact your respective embassy in Canada for more information.

In addition, if you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you will not be required to obtain a Study Permit. If you family members wish to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements. Finally, if you are in Canada on a Work Permit or student visa, your minor children can study at the secondary or elementary level. They must first enter Canada howevever, on a visitor visa.

Back to top...

Can I work in Canada on my Temporary Resident Visa?

As a general rule, a foreign national must obtain a Work Permit in order to work in Canada, although there are some exceptions.

Back to top...

Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa to come to Canada on business?

If you are from a country that requires a visa to visit Canada, you will need to apply for a TRV just like any other visitor to Canada. The application is the same as for a visitor visa.

Back to top...

How much do you charge?

Please see our fee schedule.

Our fee rates are based on the complexity of the program you are applying for. Our prices do not include Canadian government fees, which can vary depending on type of application, number of applicants, etc. Fees are paid in Canadian dollars through a bank draft or by credit card online, and submitted with your application. Other expenses you will usually incur are medical clearances, police clearances, English tests (IELTS), and Educational Assessment Equivalency fees (optional).

Back to top...

Call us today for answers to any of your immigration questions, or take our free assessment to see if you qualify for any of the available Canadian immigration programs.